Saturday, January 28, 2012

footlight parade


I've been quite obsessed lately with the sweetly feminine styles worn by the dancers in old musicals, especially Busby Berkeley musicals from the early 1930's. The amazing stage costumes have always melted my heart but I think I may adore the outfits worn for rehearsals just a tiny bit more: high waisted tap pants, blouses with peter pan or ruffled collars, short socks with maryjanes... too good! Adorable Ruby Keeler (in the center above) pulled off this look better than anyone in musicals like Footlight Parade, 42nd Street, and Dames. Sometimes I'm quite tempted to chop off my scraggly locks (gasp!), curl 'em up, and tap dance my way down the sidewalks of San Francisco like nobody's watching.
Dance Dance Dance #03


Two early 1940's babes with ready-to-dance style.
Dance Dance Dance #01

The best costumes ever, from Footlight Parade.
Dance Dance Dance #02

Dance Dance Dance #04

Dance Dance Dance #05

Film images from the amazing Valentino Vamp.

18 comments:

Lou from Foxy Whiskers said...

The costumes in 42nd Street are my absolute favourite. When I first saw that movie a few years back, I rushed out and bought some frilly bobby socks! At the time high waisted shorts had just come back "in" so I was in showgirl heaven!

Lou x
www.foxywhiskers.com

Last-Year Girl said...

Oh, I adore all these sets! It makes me want to bust out some dancing moves and the jazz hands (even though I'm in a grey London).

liveonbeauty said...

perfect! love the whole post! very nice pictures, outfits inspiration, I love it! very nice blog! already an everyday reading from bloglovin!!!
i hope you had a great weekend and i wish a lovely begining of this new week!
xx
anna

liveonbeauty.org

Natasha Fatah said...

What an awesome post! Thanks for all the lovely, romantic inspiration. I have to say my favourite part is all the adorable shoes!

xoxo
www.natashafatah.blogspot.com

Anna said...

Gorgeous!

AGNES said...

wow,this is like how i wanna look all year around 2012!

vio said...

they are a beautiful inspiration! :)

*MICROPHONEHEART.

The Braided Bandit said...

AHH! The old pictures and your collages are both awesome and inspiring!

Q's Daydream said...

ahhhhhh, PERFECTION.

Anonymous said...

Great work on this, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Phara said...

AMAZING!! I fell in love with that polkadotblouse.
X

gabrielle said...

clever girl. i love these sets, you really captured the style of the 30s musicals!

xxoo
www.paperplanesandmaryjanes.com

Zane said...

inspirational, thank you

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

I've always adored the 30s tap-dancing costumes! And with every successive dreadlock, I start dreaming a little more seriously of curly bobs...

Unknown said...

I am obsessed with this post and that animal costume just became my halloween inspiration!

Robyn said...

rompers, tap shorts, and ladylike blouses? You know I'm in.

Unknown said...

wow these little get ups are absolutely adorable!!!

xxx
www.ladyalamode.com

Crystal Lee said...

this is too good!