Tuesday, April 2, 2013

bathing beauty


Summer is going to be 1,000 times more awesome now that I'm the proud owner of these old lady style "fashion swim caps." I found them both at a funny little souvenir shop in Maui and I couldn't even believe that they still make these styles. I had been searching all over for a vintage version but everything I found was a bit too expensive ($40 and up), but these babies cost me only $15 apiece, which I thought was quite the steal until I did a bit of research online to see if my finds were dead stock and I found you can buy these for even cheaper, and they're brand new. The boringly named SwimOutlet.com sells them both for under $9, the solid version here and the multi version here. So if you're looking to turn heads at the pool (for all the wrong reasons), you're welcome. I, for one, simply cannot wait to protect my hair in true grandmotherly style.



Of course, I must admit the vintage ones are extra special, even if they don't come as cheaply...

Last two images via Pinterest & Glamour Splash.

14 comments:

anabela / fieldguided said...

YES GIRL! I can't even tell you how many times I've added one of these to my cart: http://www.headcovers.com/400/petal-swim-caps/

I just don't know how to swim, never go to the pool, & can't pick just one colour! I think these are the best & you'll look so good in one!

Unknown said...

I always found those old swimming caps extremely cute. Thanks for this -- I might just have to get one for myself (even if I barely have any hair to protect)!

Also, I've been very much enjoying your blog!

Unknown said...

I absolutely love this post:) These caps are adorable!! I had no idea you could get new versions as cute as these! Great find and I really hope to see some pics of you this summer donning these fab caps;)
Xo
Sarah
http:/atticlace.blogspot.com

Naomi said...

Oh my gosh, these are fabulous! I need. Like now.

The Occasional Indulgence

The Thriftaholic (Leilani) said...

I've come across vintage swimming caps at estate sales but they're always in sad shape, the rubber tends to rot after decades of storage! It's great that you found a source for vintage style caps at a low price, if only they could reproduce those kitty cat caps...

Unknown said...

They are gorgeous!!

Alicia said...

Yesssss, thank you so much for sharing! It's definitely a good idea to buy swim caps new if intended for actual use, as vintage ones are quite delicate. As the commenter above me stated, the rubber tends to rot. I had a gorgeous one that I displayed on a hat model for awhile, but the simple act of taking it on and off caused it to tear, and eventually it dried up completely and crumbled to dust (the flowers are still fine though; might stick 'em on a headband or something). So excited to see something I can actually use in a real pool!

Kitsune-kun said...

ha! YES! so excited to see photos of you rocking it. how fun.

Unknown said...

I think swimming caps are gonna make a come back!! loving the flowers one!!!

I once modelled a swimming cap for a photoshoot....I think it looked rather cool!

xx

Katie Frank said...

these are super cute <3
http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

let's make a daisy chain said...

Goodness these are just fantastic!! Yet another thing to add to my wish list..
Freya x

une femme av said...

Oh gosh I had a vintage one in my collection for a very very long time and I stupidly left it in the sun and it just dried up basically. :(

xoxo | Rodellee from Adored Vintage

Chelsea Finn said...

Ah! That is so awesome. You just pick out the cutest things. :)

Chelsea Elizabeth

reckless daughter said...

um....excuse me while I book-it over to swimoutlet :D these are incredible! I love the vintage ones too but more often than not the rubber tends not to weather the passing years very well. hope things are warming up for you!