Wednesday, May 23, 2012

feminine meets feminine














flower crown  gardens of whimsy
dress  vintage
sunglasses  asos
shoes  cinnamon scones heel c/o modcloth

I was having a conversation with a few of my wonderfully stylish vintage-wearing friends recently and they all described their aesthetic as being a combination of opposites, such as romantic meets tough biker chick. And all I could come up with to describe my own style is "feminine meets feminine meets feminine." Which, in a funny way, is my way of being rebellious. Dressing head to toe feminine, dressing up in general, is something a lot of people seem to shy away from. Obviously things are slightly (delightfully!) skewed in the "blogging world," but in the "real world" I am a bit of a lace-wearing anomaly. I feel more comfortable in my vintage party dresses, flower crowns, and full skirts than I do in anything that could be described as casual. Every time I pass by a rack of jeans in a store without so much as a glance I feel relieved to know exactly what I want to be wearing, and to be old enough to wear my fripperies without any hesitation or insecurity. Chalk one up for aging!

14 comments:

out of order said...

I live in Santa Cruz so "dressing up" means even less than it does in the city! you look fab girl, thanks for always rocking the lovelylooks <3

Meghan
outoforderdesign.com

Fashion Faux Pas said...

You're allways so funny!! I love the fact that u are such a feminine lady, but I do admit, I would DIE to see you rockin jeans in a big 70's style look. Die!
http://fashionfauxpas-mintjulep.blogspot.com

Charmaine said...

I love the lighting in these photos, they make you look so ethereal and editorial.

Carlee, Little Sloth said...

i absolutely the love lace dress and the pictures are adorable! The sunglasses are funky, I like them!
Carlee

http://allthingsaveragegirl.blogspot.com/

Nadinoo said...

Yep, I don't think anyone can quite pull off lace as easily or as well as you do! You always give me a lesson in how to dress like a lady ; )

P.S. those photos are sooo dreamy, you get such amazing light in San Fran, another reason for me to move there..

Leah said...

Yes, thank goodness for the confidence that comes with age! You look absolutely stunning. And please tell me where you found that dress!

Anonymous said...

Very lovely!

http://thedamselinadress.blogspot.com

MissKait said...

you are too sweet! thats so fun that you feel comfy in vintage frills.
you definitely rock it

xo kaitlin
kaitgirl

Sarah Dee said...

You look wonderful! It's so lovely being able to express yourself through fashion!

<3 Sarah
theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

Constance said...

Gorgeous meets gorgeous!

Bianca said...

You seem so sure of yourself and you're style, I really admire that!

Unknown said...

I love your shoes! The colour is really cool and i love the cut out style!!

YOURFLIRTYLOOK | by Karlijn said...

wow, you are stunning! I love your dress and sunglasses. Oh, and the light in the pictures is so romantic ♥

Kristina Uriegas-Reyes said...

omygosh, I'm totally on board with your philosophy of femininity being rebellious! I'm totally going to quote you on tumblr. ha

it reminds me of this entry I did for BUST.com about an interview between Tavi and Leith Clark. They talked femininity, fashion, and feminism.

http://www.bust.com/style-file/fashion-feminism-from-leith-clark-and-tavi-gevinson.html

It also sort of ties in with an entry I did about the attack on girly culture and female driven websites.

http://www.tweevalleyhigh.com/2011/06/bust-post.html

I agree with this view whole-heartedly. I love feminine, frilly things and I sort of feel like a rebel in doing so. ;)