Wednesday, December 30, 2015

japanese dioramas



I have been collecting these funny Japanese dog (um, cat?) dioramas for a few years now. My collection is still tiny because they are nearly impossible to find. I'm not even sure what era they are from. I've seen similar dioramas on Pinterest and elsewhere marked as being from the 1950's, but they seem more late 1960's or early 70's to me. Does anyone know?

Ever since moving in with Christopher I have made a concerted effort to curb my (sprawling) collection of kitsch. Not because he asked me to, but because I liked the idea of combining our styles and seeing them evolve together I will always have that soft spot for silly tchotchkes, especially when they are in the form of fake food, but somehow it doesn't seem to fit anymore. Regardless, the dioramas are here to stay and even Christopher has taken a shine to them. If anyone comes across any like these please let me know and I will love you forever!

1 comment:

hami said...

oh, these sometimes pop up on my etsy feed. of course can't find any right now after quick search! :'-D